How to Prepare Foie Gras
Learn how to do it like the pros with this easy-to-follow foie gras preparation guide, including info on storing, cleaning and de-veining your exquisite foie gras. Note: Recipes that involve braising, poaching, or steaming usually call for a whole lobe, so leave it intact.
Storing and Handling Foie Gras
- Temperature control is essential with whole lobes, as the flavor and texture of foie gras is extremely sensitive to temperature changes.
- Always keep in original vacuum-sealed containers and plastic wrapping until use.
- Try to use within a week of receiving your product for best taste.
- Fresh foie gras has a refrigerator life of 3 weeks, unopened (two days after opening).
- Frozen Foie Gras can keep for up to one year, but the flavor will not be as good when thawed.
- Fully cooked prepared products like mousses, blocs, and pates can last in the shelf for a few years (check labels).
- Micuit, or partially cooked foie gras products should be refrigerated.
- Refrigerate all foie gras products after opening.
- Remove from packaging and rinse. * To be true to French style, soak in milk for a few hours.
- Pat dry with a towel, gently.
- Remove any bile spots with a sharp knife.
- Separate the two lobes, pulling apart very carefully and delicately.
- Discard the outer membrane (optional).
Cutting into Medallions
- Lay lobes on cutting board, round side up.
- Heat a knife with warm water (make sure the knife is very sharp).
- Dry the knife after cutting each slice.
- Start at the narrow end, and cut at an angle.
- Cut half or three-quarter inch thick slices, 2-3 inches across.
- If in doubt, make them thicker rather than thinner. Thinner slices can quickly dissolve into nothingness when sautéing.
- Thaw the foie gras first, if frozen.
- Separate lobes (see above).
- With the larger lobe, find the most visible vein, cut with a paring knife and follow the trail, pulling the veins out gently.
- Rinse and pat dry again.
Once your foie gras is ready, time to cook! For some in-depth Foie Gras Recipes, try out our exquisite Duck Breast with Wine and Figs, or try your hand at crafting our mouthwatering Foie Gras Hamburger.