Sheep Milk CheeseButtery, opulent, and tangy, sheep's milk cheese is an incredibly varied and very versatile cheese category which includes some of our store favorites, like Manchego from Spain and Pecorino Romano from Italy. Perfect for salads, for pasta and risotto, to bake in quiche and savory tart, it's a great partner for seasonal produce and a great addition to a cheese board.
1 - 28 of 72 products
About Sheep’s Milk Cheese
If you love your cheeses on the salty, more flavorful side, sheep's milk cheese is the category for you. Anthony Bourdain once wrote: "There's something primal and satisfying about the robustness of sheep's milk cheese. Its boldness can stand up to the heartiest dishes, making it a go-to choice for culinary adventures." We couldn’t’ agree more with this statement!
These typically dried and tangier cheeses are perfect to add a boost of cheesy flavor to a cheese plate, a salad, even ravioli, pasta, and risotto. Sheep’s milk cheeses are incredibly versatile - they are just as at home on cheese plate as they are crumbled over salads or baked on a quiche. Crumble over a salad with pine nuts and a good drizzle of olive oil, Bake it into panzotti, ravioli or lasagna. Cook it on a quiche piled with seasonal veggies - you will be delighted at how well sheep's milk cheese melts!
Sheep’s milk cheese is considered a nutritious option. On one hand, it is a good source of essential nutrients, including protein, calcium, and zinc, making it a healthy choice for bone health and overall well-being. Additionally, some individuals find sheep's milk easier to digest than cow's milk due to differences in its protein and fat composition, so it’s perfect for lactose intolerant foodies.
Types of Sheep's Milk Cheese
This category of cheese is incredibly varied, with milder cheeses on one end of the spectrum, and very dry, salty and intense cheeses on the other. Whether it’s salty Greek Feta or delightfully buttery Italian Pecorino, there’s something for every palate!
- Manchego: A Spanish classic, Manchego is a semi-hard cheese with a nutty and buttery flavor, gaining complexity as it ages.
- Pecorino Romano: Hailing from Italy, Pecorino Romano is a sharp and salty cheese, perfect for grating over pasta dishes or enjoying on its own.
- Roquefort: A French blue cheese with a rich history, Roquefort captivates with its creamy texture and distinct blue veins, aged in natural caves.
- Feta: A staple in Greek cuisine, Feta boasts a crumbly texture and tangy taste, adding a refreshing element to salads and savory dishes.
- Petit Basque: A unique sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrenees region, Petit Basque delights with a smooth and mild flavor, making it a versatile addition to any cheese plate.
- Brebirousse d'Argental: A French delight, Brebirousse d'Argental is a soft and creamy sheep's milk cheese, with a velvety texture and a hint of sweetness.
- Iberico: Crafted from a blend of cow, goat, and sheep's milk, Iberico presents a harmonious fusion of flavors, with a creamy and slightly tangy profile.
Shopping For Sheep's Milk Cheese
Gourmet Food Store's selection of sheep's milk cheese is one of the widest you'll find online, so make sure to discover them all. Each of our cheeses is sourced from the best cheesemakers and creameries in the world, and shipped to you in temperature-controlled packaging, specially designed to withstand transit.
With great flavor and a texture that lends itself to so many applications, this is a great option for the cheese loving foodie!
Sheep Milk Cheese Questions And Answers
Q:Can you eat sheep’s milk cheese in pregnancy?
A:Yes, cheese made from sheep’s milk are considered safe choices for pregnant women
Q:Is feta sheep cheese?
A:Yes! Feta cheese is made of sheep’s milk.
Q:Does sheep’s milk cheese have lactose?
A:Yes, sheep’s milk cheese does have lactose, but in general, you’ll find it easier to tolerate than cow’s milk cheese.