Grana Padano CheeseA unique Italian cheese in Northern Italy has a unique taste and dense, flaky texture that’s perfect for shaving over dishes. With a history stretching back centuries, this cheese is rich in both flavor and heritage. Full-bodied and robust, this is a must-have for the cheese lover.
1 - 4 of 4 products
What is Grana Padano?
The story of Grana Padano is a testament to time-honored traditions. Its origins can be traced to the Cistercian monks in the Po Valley during the 12th century. Today, it enjoys the status of a Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) cheese, ensuring that only the highest quality standards are met.
An example of artisan cheesemaking at its finest, this finicky cheese can easily go awry and takes a level of skill and craftsmanship unrivaled by most dairy products. Production begins in the typical way, combining fresh cow’s milk with rennet and heat in large copper cauldrons. Once the curd is separated and molded into large wheels, it is salted for two weeks, then aged for no less than nine months, only once it passes its color, scent, and texture test, it is finally given the seal of approval.
The production of Grana Padano is a labor-intensive process that demands skill and dedication. It begins with the collection of fresh cow's milk, which is carefully curdled, heated, and molded into its iconic wheels. These wheels are then aged for an extended period, often 18 months or more, during which they develop their signature grainy texture and complex flavors.
We carry a great selection of cheeses for sale, and only stock the highest quality products. Explore our catalog and buy grana Padano online!
How To Pair and Serve
Grana Padano is a versatile cheese that can be enjoyed in various ways. When serving, it pairs wonderfully with a variety of accompaniments. Try it with fresh figs, pears, or drizzled with honey for a sweet contrast. Pair it with a robust red wine, such as Barolo or Amarone, to complement its nutty and savory character.
Here are some gourmet Grana Padano dishes to inspire your culinary creations:
- Truffle Risotto: Elevate a classic risotto by adding finely grated Grana Padano and a drizzle of truffle oil. The nutty richness of the cheese pairs beautifully with the earthy, aromatic flavors of truffles, creating a luxurious and creamy dish. Top it with freshly shaved Grana Padano for extra decadence.
- Salad: Create a gourmet salad by combining crisp, fresh pear slices with arugula, toasted walnuts, and generous shavings of Grana Padano. Drizzle with a balsamic reduction for a sweet and tangy contrast that complements the cheese's savory notes.
- Gnocchi: Make homemade potato gnocchi and serve them with a Grana Padano cream sauce. The creamy, cheesy sauce enhances the delicate potato dumplings, and a sprinkle of grated Grana Padano on top adds extra depth of flavor.
- Stuffed Mushrooms: Stuff large, meaty mushrooms (such as Portobello or Cremini) with a mixture of breadcrumbs, garlic, fresh herbs, and grated Grana Padano. Bake until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese is golden brown. It's a delightful appetizer or side dish.
- Polenta: Create a rich and creamy polenta dish by adding grated Grana Padano cheese. Top with sautéed wild mushrooms, fresh herbs, and more Grana Padano shavings for a gourmet twist on a classic Italian comfort food.
- Prosciutto Crostini: Create gourmet crostini by topping toasted baguette slices with a thin slice of prosciutto and a generous shaving of Grana Padano. Drizzle with honey for a sweet and savory flavor combination.
Grana Padano Pricing & Brands
For those seeking the finest Grana Padano cheeses, Gourmet Food Store offers a curated selection of premium options. Explore the aged excellence of Grana Padano Stravecchio, renowned for its depth of flavor, or opt for the milder and versatile Grana Padano DOP. You can trust that our Grana Padano selection exemplifies the highest quality standards, and we pride ourselves in our competitive pricing.
Visit GourmetFoodStore.com to explore our handpicked selection of Grana Padano cheeses and embark on your own journey into the world of Italian gastronomy. Whether you're an experienced food lover or new to the world of artisanal cheeses, Grana Padano is an exceptional delight that will captivate your senses.
Grana Padano Cheese Questions And Answers
Q:What is Grana Padano?
A:Grana Padano is a hard and dry Italian cheese with a history dating back nearly a thousand years. Crafted in the northern regions of Italy, it's known for its distinctive grainy texture, rich flavor, and exceptional versatility in the kitchen.
Q:Where can I buy Grana Padano?
A:Right here at Gourmet Food Store! We keep a stock of the best cheese in the world and ship them overnight.
Q:Is Grana Padano the same as Parmigiano?
A:Because they’re made from different milk types – cow versus sheep – these two cheeses had a different taste, but they’re similar enough to be able to interchange in a recipe. They both melt very well.
Q:What cheese can I substitute for Grana Padano?
A:Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino Romano are both close substitutes.